Guidelines for Pets Air Transport: Pets can travel with you in the aircraft cabin and as hold baggage, IMPORTANT: animals of the mustelidae family (ferrets, martens, etc.) are generally not permitted.
It is important to know what documentation you need to transport your dogs, cats, tortoises and birds, etc. and to be aware of the legal regulations and conditions for transporting them.
The following are the requirements of IBERIA airlines, generally the same as for most national and international airlines.
Guidelines for Pets Air Transport: AS HOLD BAGGAGE
For transporting dogs and cats in the hold of the aircraft, brachycephalic breeds and those considered dangerous breeds are excepted. Your dog or cat must be carried in the hold on the most flights with international regulations:
Strong, safe material and with a lock that guarantees that it will not open at any time.
Comfortable for the size of the animal and that allows it to stand in a natural position, turn around and lie down.
Without any external or internal damage that could harm your pet, as well enough ventilation and a waterproof bottom.
PLEASE NOTE! The maximum weight allowed is 45Kg (including carrier).
If you are traveling on a connecting flight, the transit time between flights must not be less than 90 minutes or more than 4 hours.
Book well in advance: Airport staff need to be informed of your pet’s arrival. For this reason, bookings are only accepted up to 48 hours before your flight departure. Travel will only be authorized when all journeys have been confirmed.
The number of the pet carrier or kennels and their dimensions are limited by the type of aircraft. For flights of some airlines, the maximum permitted dimensions are 83cm x 65cm x 56cm.
Charges for transporting pets as hold baggage per flight
|America – Asia|
Guidelines for Pets Air Transport: CABIN BAGGAGE
Animals accepted in the cabin: dogs, cats, fish, turtles and birds (except birds of prey).
Carry them with you in the cabin with a maximum weight of 8 kg (including the carrier pet bag).
You must have prior authorization from the Reservations Airline Office, with some conditions:
- 8 kg maximum weight including the carrier or transport bag.
- The maximum dimensions of the container are 45 cm. long, 35 cm. wide and 25 cm. high, provided that the sum of these three dimensions does not exceed 105 cm.
- A suitable container should be sturdy, ventilated, with a waterproof and secure bottom.
- When transporting birds, make sure that the cages are sturdy, that the lock is secure, and that food and drink cannot spill out of them. In addition, the cage should always be covered.
Several animals of the same species can be carried in the same container if they are small or lightweight.
- Your pet must travel with you without causing any inconvenience to other passengers. It must remain in its bag/carrier throughout the flight and you are responsible for its care.
- Animals that, due to their special characteristics, bad smell, etc., may be a nuisance to the rest of the passengers and the crew may not be transported.
- For safety reasons, you may not occupy seats in the rows corresponding to the emergency exits.
Legal restrictions and documentation
IT IS VERY IMPORTANT to complete all legal formalities and to have the necessary documentation in order to take your pet with you.
Veterinary passport or official health certificate are necessary for traveling with dogs and cats as pets.
New regulation on the transport of pets between Member States of the European Union:
- Movements between Member States of the European Union (except Finland, Malta and the United Kingdom).
Animals must be accompanied by a PASSPORT stating that:
They have been identified by a clearly legible tattoo or an electronic identification system (microchip).
Have had an anti-rabies vaccination or revaccination.
- Movements of animals less than three months old may be authorized by the health authorities of the Member States, provided that a passport and documentation certifying that they have remained in their place of birth without having been in contact with wild animals or are accompanied by their mother if they are still dependent on her.
Travel to Finland, Malta and the United Kingdom.
In addition to what is foreseen for the rest of the European Union, to be able to travel with your pet (except ferrets) to these countries:
If you are traveling with your dog from a country other than Finland, Malta or the United Kingdom, you must prove that it has been vaccinated against Tapeworm between 120 hours (5 days) and 24 hours immediately prior to arrival at the point of destination.
The transport of animals by IBERIA to the United Kingdom is still not authorized, therefore, IBERIA will not accept any animal for this destination.
Movements from Third Countries with acceptable conditions to the European Union:
For certain European countries (Andorra, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Monaco, San Marino, Switzerland and the Vatican), entry will be allowed according to the applicable national rules (except Finland, Malta and the United Kingdom).
From certain countries with acceptable anti-rabies conditions (Ascension Island; United Arab Emirates; Antigua and Barbuda; Netherlands Antilles; Argentina; Australia; Aruba; Bosnia and Herzegovina; Barbados; Bahrain; Bermuda; Belarus; Canada; Chile; Fiji; Falkland Islands; Hong Kong; Croatia; Jamaica; Japan; Saint Kitts and Nevis; Cayman Islands; Montserrat; Mauritius; Mexico; Malaysia; New Caledonia; New Zealand; French Polynesia; Saint Pierre and Miquelon; Russian Federation; Singapore; Saint Helena; Trinidad and Tobago; Taiwan; United States of America; Saint Vincent and Grenadines; British Virgin Islands; Vanuatu; Wallis and Futuna; Mayotte;) shall also be admitted to European states (except Finland, Malta and United Kingdom) with the certificate in force as indicated by the applicable national rules.
Get ready to travel, discover our best offers in our Category: Dog Carrier – Backpacks